Sunday, March 14, 2010

Learning Journal 6

I was a little late for class last week, but I got there just in time for my group's wiki site presentation. I learned quite a bit about the play while researching, and reading what others had found. I was actually quite suprised to find out that many people in the class did not know that the play was made into a critically praised movie. Many did not know about it's historical background either - although I did not know nearly as much about it as I do now, after reading the script. The presentation went well, and I beleive that the class was well-informed. I think the most interesting section of my research for the play was the noted fiction in the script - it is always informative to know what actually happend, and what did not.

The Gut Girls team also presented their website, and did a great job. They left not much room for questions. In my personal opinion, the best grouping of information in the presentation was the historical background of the slaughterhouses, and the existance of the "real" Gut Girls. In high school history, I learned quite a bit about the Industrial Revolution, and the rise of women workers - but this script, and it's background opens a whole new view on girls and their new found independence at the time. It was informative, interesting, and helps you understand the relevance of certain situations in the play for it's time.

Until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment